Belize Fishing Map
The North/Central coast of Belize offers an unparalleled variety of light tackle fishing opportunities. This 60 mile stretch of water is sheltered by the second largest barrier reef in the world and contains flats, cays, channels, mangroves, and river mouths which provide the following menu:
- Sight casting to tarpon, permit, and bonefish on shallow flats.
- Blind casting in channels for 40-100+ tarpon.
- Mangrove edges harboring snook, “baby” tarpon, & snappers.
- River mouth systems holding snook, jacks, tarpon, and a variety of snappers.
- Trolling the reef for barracuda, wahoo, grouper, snappers, and other reef dwelling species.
This map is intended to provide information about the major fishing opportunities. For instance, bonefish can sometimes be found on many of the flats surrounding cays inside the reef, but the concentrations of fish would be stronger in the areas marked “B.” The same would be true of the other species.
The most effective approach to reach the many fishing options is by using a comfortable live-aboard mothership as your base of operations (see link for General Information and Prices).